You’ve found a draft after you’ve shut and locked your front door. You may think, in summer, it will be fine, and in winter you can cope with the heating on all day long. Did you know if you don’t replace a broken front door, you’re at an increased risk of burglary and expensive heating bills? If you’ve asked a local carpenter to fix the door, but they are unable to, you need to get your door replaced.
What Doors Are Available?
Some people like the comfort of trying to pick a door they’ve had before. Others may have been persuaded to try something new, especially if there’s a sale on or there’s a hefty discount. As long as it fits with the style of your house on the outside, then there are still lots of options for you.
This is a common type of door style, it’s made from plastic. It stands for unplasticised polyvinyl chloride. It is very light to use, but it’s equally robust. It is also durable it wouldn’t need replacing. It stays stable no matter the seasons, usage or temperature; it really is a secure door type. For the price, they are a lot cheaper than composite doors. uPVC is flame retardant, so it provides that bit more protection should there be a fire.
These doors provide a lot of security as they are made from a variety of sturdy materials including wood, glass, uPVC and steel. Because of the combination of different elements, the price is considerably more than cheaper options. However, this does give an advantage over the uPVC as they work out more safe and secure overall.
There are doors made purely from various wood types. Some are without windows, to ensure they are substantial and secure as possible. Wood doors are usually built into a hard frame to keep the door from sagging over time. The beauty with this door type is that every one of them is unique, due to the craftsmanship and work styles implemented. It’s a good insulator for heat so energy wise you’ll save a lot of money in the long run on heating bills. Unlike other door types, wood doesn’t need that much maintenance either.
Doors made from this type are much lighter than most, very strong and quite simple to look after. If you replaced your front door with an aluminium one, you are pretty much guaranteed a long life door because the material is that long-lasting. What makes aluminium doors even better is that they are pliable enough to make energy-saving elements to a high mass. This makes it a reliable and protective door type.
You are best asking an expert which door replacement type is best for you, go and visit specialist shops, showrooms and you could always inquire in your street for recommendations. When you do invest in a door, there are usually finance options, so you do not suddenly have to spend thousands on an unexpected bill.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are Different Doors Called?
There are many different doors that are commonly used in the construction industry. Some of the most common include:
1. Double doors – Double doors are often used in entrances and walkways to allow for easy movement of people and materials in and out. They are also perfect for businesses that need to allow plenty of access for customers and employees.
2. Gate doors – Gate doors are often used as a dividing line between different areas of a building, such as a lobby, warehouse, or production area. They can also be used to control access to machinery or sensitive materials.
3. Glass doors – Glass doors are perfect for businesses that want to showcase their products or services to customers. They can also be used to create an indoor-outdoor environment, depending on the type of glass used.
4. Sliding doors – Sliding doors are often used in restaurants and other places where it is important to keep food or other items cooled or heated. They can also be used for security purposes, as they can be locked from the inside.
What Are Prehung Doors?
Prehung doors are a type of door that is installed in the preheader, before the headers. They offer an edge-to-edge appearance and typically have a higher threshold than standard doors. This makes them ideal for areas where space is at a premium or where there may be obstructions near the entryway such as handrails or curtains.
Prehung Doors can also boast other features such as security lams and transoms, which provide insulation from weather elements and additional privacy.
What Is a Prehung Door Vs Slab?
A prehung door is a door that has been installed directly onto the framing of your home. This type of door requires no assembly and is ready to use right out of the box. A slab, on the other hand, is a poured foundation that sits on top of piles (or slabs)of earth or concrete and needs to be assembled before it can be used as a dwelling.
Is It Worth Replacing Interior Doors?
Yes, it is definitely worth replacing your interior doors! Not only will they add a touch of class and style to your home, but they can also help to reduce noise levels and keep your home cooler in the summer months. Here are some of the benefits of replacing your doors:
1. They will improve the overall look and feel of your home – By upgrading your doors, you will instantly improve the look and feel of your home. Not to mention, new doors are often much more energy-efficient than older ones, which means you’ll save money on your energy bill over time.
2. They will reduce noise levels – One of the biggest benefits of replacing your doors is that they can help to reduce noise levels in your home. This is especially important if you live in a noisy area or if you have children who are particularly sensitive to noise.
3. They can help to keep your home cooler in the summer – One of the biggest problems during the summer months is overheating homes. By replacing your interior doors, you will help to keep your home cooler and more comfortable during these hot months.