The question and search for immortality has been man’s holy grail since the being of time which intended brought up the popular saying – “all things good come to an end”. This saying indeed makes one pounder and think of all their beloved things coming to an end one day, and for those of us that love coffee and can’t do without it, start to ask the question how long do coffee grounds last? And are there ways of preserve it.
Unlucky as it is, coffee grounds do in a lifetime go bad, that is if not preserved or stored properly. So here is some knowledge to help answer the question of how long is ground coffee good for:
- Let’s face facts, there’s no getting around it, ground coffee does not last very long, it is actually coffee at its most vulnerable stage. The grinding of coffee beans to make coffee exposes the coffee to elements that can easily make the coffee grounds go bad as the oil in the coffee begin to evaporate once grinded.
- It is best to keep coffee beans in all their complete unground glory for as long as possible and only use them when you are ready to make coffee out of it. The shelf life of coffee depends on variety of factors, such as best before date, preparation method and how the coffee was stored. Is to also know that in terms of how long will ground coffee lasts, and if coffee expires does not matter whether it has caffeine or decaffeinated. Like most drinks, coffee has a best before date or a sell by date and not a use by date or expiration date.
- A good way to determine how long do coffee grounds last, will be by using your nose. If a coffee ground is to go bad, the pleasant aroma will be gone along with a great amount of its taste and flavor. However, using a coffee ground which has gone bad to make yourself some coffee will not harm you but rather will have little or no flavor in the coffee made and may lose it dark color and rather appear light brown.
- Proper preservation is the key in answering the million questions of how long coffee grounds last. It’s always best to keep your coffee in an airtight container so as to not expose it to organisms or germs floating around in the air. When properly stored, an opened package of ground coffee will generally stay at best quality for about 1 to 2 weeks at room temperature before going bad.
- Best way to store ground coffee is also by storing it in your freezer immediately after use, but then again comes the question of how long does coffee last in the fridge? or should you freeze ground coffee? A properly stored coffee ground kept in an airtight container and in a fridge can last days longer than it should and ground coffee that has been kept constantly frozen at 0 Fahrenheit will keep safe indefinitely. Prepared coffee left on the counter should be used within 4-6 hours of brewing or it goes bad. Re-heating of ground coffee is not recommended because it further breaks down the product. A thermos will be better in keeping it warm and retain its taste for a few hours.
Overall, the answer to the question of how long do coffee grounds go bad will be answered as to avoid any situation of having to store large quantities of ground coffee in making of coffee. But if you have to in anyway need to store large quantities of ground coffee make sure you take as much care and precautions as possible in keeping it well sealed in a cool, dark place, air tight container or in fridge.