The baking or making of a pizza is an art itself. There is a great amount of work put in to make or bake a perfect and delicious pizza. One great element on the process of baking a pizza is having to place your raw flour, cheese and toppings on a pizza stone before putting it in the oven to bake. A pizza stone is a movable stone slab especially smooth on the surface that gives chefs the perfect crispy crust in making a pizza. Pizza stone is the stool used to get you that perfect crispy and thin pizza crust you so much enjoy in a pizza.
Pizza stone are very important in the making of pizza’s and hence the need to maintain it. Now generally, one does not need to always clean the pizza stone as cooking of pizza on it is seasonal. But if the need to clean arrives, be sure in doing it correctly. There are so many different methods on cleaning a pizza stone and here are a few simple ways on how to clean a pizza stone:
1. Pizza stones are best cleaned with simple brush, blunt tool or a scraper. The use of a stone brush or a spatula made of plastic to scrape excess pieces of burnt food stacked on the stone is important. Scraping should be done gently on the surface of the stone where the debris of excess are and should not be done with a metal spatula as this can scratch the stone and cause damage to it. Always make sure the stone is cooled to room temperature before working on it.
2. The use of soap on a pizza stone is highly discommended. The smooth surface of the stone might let you think cleaning it with a soap or dish washing detergent will be ok and easy, but truth is, it will rater destroy the stone for good.
This is because, a pizza stone is porous, hence soap can easily get inside these pores and damage the taste of your beloved pizza. If you are serving customers you did be sure in losing them as they did be tasting soap in their pizzas.
3. You can easily also make use of a damp cloth in cleaning a pizza stone. You damp a wash cloth in warm waters and slowly and gently wipe down debris or excess off the pizza stone. This will also give you the chance to clean the pieces of food that were not able to go from scraping.
4. On how to clean a pizza stone burnt, one may need to soak the whole pizza stone in water. A burnt or baked on gunk pizza stone will be need to be placed in water and soaked to soften it for easy removal. Soak your pizza stone overnight in plain clear drinkable water before attempting to scrape it clean again. It is however to bear in mind that soaking it means the stone will absorb water and hence needs to be dried completely before using it again. It is advisable to let it completely dry for at least a week or so.
You Can Check It Out to: Clean Air Stones For Hydroponics?
As car is to an engine, so is a pizza stone to an oven. Without pizza stones, we all would not be enjoying the wonderful crispy tastes of pizza’s. Cleaning of them though not every day is essential. Pizza stones are very fragile and should be clean with caution as this might lead to it being cracked. Always let your stone completely cool off before handling it. Cooling it to a room temperature is the best as exposing it to cold air may lead to it being permanently damaged.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Season a Pizza Stone for the First Time?
If you are new to cooking with a pizza stone, it is important to preheat your oven before beginning. You can do this by setting the temperature to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and turning on the fan. Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pizza stone onto the prepared pan. Bake for 5-10 minutes until warm throughout. Once ready, brush your pizza Stone with olive oil or butter (depending on what type of crust you are using), then sprinkle desired toppings over the surface.
Do Pizza Stones Need to Be Seasoned?
Pizza stones need to be seasoned in order to get the best results when baking pizza. By seasoning the stone, you will help to avoid sticking and make it easier to slide the pizza off of the stone. There are a few ways to season a pizza stone:
– Preheat the oven to its highest temperature before placing the pizza stone in. This will help to activate the seasoning on the stone.
– Rub the surface of the pizza stone with a little oil or butter before adding your pizza. This will also help to activate the seasoning.
– Place your pizza on the stone and wait about 5 minutes for it to cook before taking it out.
Should I Oil My Pizza Stone?
Some people believe that oiling the pizza stone helps to create a better crust because it causes the dough to become more elastic. This makes it easier for you to form an even crust without having to use too much pressure, which can lead to unevenly cooked toppings or soggy bases. Additionally, pizza stones tend not to absorb flavors as well as unoiled baking sheets, do, so using oils may help enhance the flavor of your food. It’s up to you whether or not you feel that oiling your pizza stone is worth the extra effort!
How Do You Clean a Greasy Pizza Stone?
Greasy pizza stones can be a real pain to clean – but with a little patience and elbow grease, they can be shining stars once again! Here are some tips for cleaning greasy pizza stones:
1. Soak the stone in warm water for about 10 minutes.
2. Scrub the stone with a cloth dipped in a non-abrasive cleaning solution – such as dish soap and water – until the dirt and grease are gone. Be sure to scrub in all directions.
3. Rinse the stone with clean water and dry it off.
4. Apply a coat of your preferred pizza sauce or toppings to the stone, and cook according to your usual recipe. Enjoy your squeaky-clean pizza stone!
Are You Supposed to Wash a Pizza Stone?
Most experts recommend cleaning your pizza stone at least once a week with warm water and mild detergent. Be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, as this may damage your stone. Instead, opt for a soap like Arm & Hammer Basic Cleaners which is gentle on materials.