Massage therapists use a massage table to deliver treatments. They are usually about 72 inches high, foldable, and have a face hole at the top level for the client’s comfort. They are available in different sizes, colors, and designs. These tables have become popular because it gives a professional look to your home business setup or makes it easier for traveling therapists to carry around their equipment.
If you are planning to buy one, then certain elements should be kept in mind so that you can get optimum value for your money. But if you are opting to make a massage table of your own, then this article will be beneficial. In this article, I will discuss how to make a massage table at home.
A Detailed Stepwsie Guide on How to Make a Massage Table at Home
- First measure your bed, then add 2 inches to the length and width of it. This will be the size of your massage table.
- Cut two pieces of plywood this size (the dimensions that you just noted). Make them lay flat on the floor and place a heavy object on top of them, so they stay in place.
- Using a circular saw, cut eight strips of wood, each 1/4 inch thick and 4 inches wide for the side rails. Next, cut four more strips, each 1/4 inch thick by 3-1/2 inches wide, for headrest and foot rails. To connect these, first drill pilot holes through one piece and then use screws to attach them.
- Attach the side and headrest rails to the plywood sheets with wood glue and nails. Nail only into the top of each fence – if you nail all the way through, they won’t be able to fold back when you put your massage table away.
- Measure 1 inch in from either end of four pieces of lumber that is two inches thick and eight feet long for legs. Cut these with a circular saw at 45-degree angles, so they look like triangles when finished.
- On four other pieces of lumber that are two inches thick and 4 feet in length, measure 3 inches from either end. Cut these at 45-degree angles, so they look like triangles when finished. These are the braces.
- Measure 4 feet along each of the rails, and place your leg pieces on top of them at this length with 1 foot hanging off each side. Use wood glue to connect them. The braces should be facing outwards so that you can attach 3-inch wide strips of plywood across them later for padding to cover up your brace connections.
- Attach four more pieces of lumber two inches thick by 2-1/2 feet long to the headrest rails, but now face them inwards like the legs are facing outwards. Once again, use wood glue to connect them. You shouldn’t attach the braces to the headrest rails because you will be folding these when you need to put the massage table away.
- Measure 2 inches in from either end of four pieces of lumber that is two inches thick and 6 feet long for the top rails. Cut these at 45-degree angles, so they look like triangles when finished. These are similar to your side rail connections but deeper.
- Attach your top rails by screwing them onto your plywood sheets with wood screws or nails, making sure they are spaced evenly apart. The table is nearly finished, but you should measure your bed first and cut a 3-inch thick piece of plywood to fit the length and width. This will be your table shelf. It is helpful to have a hole in the center to put things under, like massaging oils.
- Sand down all your sharp edges with sandpaper for safety. Your massage table is now complete!
You Can Check It Out to Paint a Beer Die Table
Precautions While Making a Massage Table
- Before making the massage table take necessary precautions. Ensure that you have all the tools and equipment needed for this project before beginning, especially if it is your first time making one. Be creative while building a massage table but do not go to an extent where your safety is at risk. If you are not trained to make furniture, then get help from well-versed professionals in this domain.
- When measuring or cutting any material, ensure that extra two to four inches is added to the measuring tape or ruler because after painting or varnishing, some can shrink up to 1/8 of an inch.
- Use only top-quality materials when constructing a massage table. Also, ensure that you purchase all materials needed, such as screws, glue, and paint, from a reputable hardware store or carpenter’s shop.
- Ensure that the construction location is easily accessible to plumbing and electricity if one needs either while constructing this massage table. Also, make sure not to block any doors or windows in the room where it will be used and also leave some space behind the table for easy movement of your body while using it. This way, you can avoid accidents like bumping into furniture around the room or falling off the table while massaging someone.
Which Wood is Suitable for Making a Massage Table?
Softwoods such as pine, cedar, and fir are suitable for building a table because they have an even grain that is easy to work with. They also have a natural element that makes them smell good when cut and worked. In some cases, it might be necessary to treat the wood to not warp over time by using alternate treatments such as varnish or paint.
Other hardwoods can be used but require different ways of construction. For instance, solid hardwood slats glued together at the ends would need to have a way of preventing the ends from opening up after being screwed in place over time. This can be done by attaching a piece of plywood on each back of the slats before assembling them into the table.
You Can Check It Out to: Dress a Massage Table
Frequently Asked Question
What Material Is Used for Massage Tables?
There are many materials that can be used for massage tables, the most common is plastic or vinyl.
Plastic and vinyl are durable and easy to clean. They also have a sleek appearance that can blend with any décor. The drawback of these materials is they are not easily disposable and will not biodegrade in landfills.
What Is the Best Width for A Massage Table?
The best width for a massage table is the one that is most comfortable for you. However, in general, tables with a width of 24 inches are recommended.
What Is the Proper Height for A Massage Table?
The height of a massage table is dependent on the person who will be using it. A tall person may want a taller table than someone shorter, while a smaller person may need a lower one.
It is important to note that there are many types of tables, and not all tables have the same height, so you should always check the dimensions before buying your table.
I hope this article has been effective for learning how to make a massage table at home. Always take high-quality wood for preparation purposes. Thank you and have a nice day!
Check It Out Also – How to Dress a Massage Table